- All applicants may combine their income to meet the requirement of grossing 3 times the rent.
- Please provide a recent paycheck stub (more than 1 must be provided, upon request).
- Any other income (i.e., retirement income, child or spousal support, self-employment, disability or Social Security) that you are using to qualify will require 90 days’ worth of bank statements, showing monthly deposits that meet the 3 times the rent requirement.
- Alternatively, you may show 90 days’ worth of bank statements, showing a balance equal to 3 times the rent, times the term of the lease.
- If an applicant does not meet 3 times the rent, an immediate family member or guardian may be a co-signer, as long as they prove 5 times the rent and accrue 0 points. The co-signer must pass the complete background check (criminal, credit, rental, etc.).
- Please note there are different income requirements for our properties for ages 55 and over. Please review the Rental Criteria for 55+ Properties.
Applications Processed in Corporate Office
FICO score: Under 550=6 points (auto-denial), 550-649=3.5 points, 700+=0 points, No score=3.5 points.
Applications Processed in Onsite Leasing Office
FICO score: Under 500=6 points, 500-649=3.5 points, 650+=0 points, No score=3.5 points.
If No Score, or more information is needed, full approval may be required in order to accept your Deposit to Hold.
We will check for a minimum of 12 months’ rental or mortgage history from within the past three years (your name must have been on the lease or loan agreement from a non-relative). We reserve the right to consider references that may exceed that time frame. Any instance where a reference of at least 12months (can be a combination of multiple references) cannot be obtained, a deposit equal to one month’s rent will be required, in addition to normal security deposits.
Negative current or past reference items will incur 1 (one) point each.
Based on the results of your background check, TMG calculates additional deposits on a sliding scale. Please be aware the scale may differ by property and is subject to change without notice. The deposit amount may also increase as we continue through the background check process.
Additional deposits, when applicable, will be assessed according to the highest risk score of the party for applications run through the Onsite Leasing Office.
3.5 or less=Approved with original security deposit & fees
4-5.5=Additional Security Deposit of $200
6-6.5=Additional Security Deposit of $400
7 or more=Application is denied
Your application will be processed as quickly as possible. We have a two-phase process (see Application Process). The Deposit Approval decision can be made in as little as 15 minutes, and approximately 24-48 hours to be Fully Approved; however, that is dependent on the receipt of the necessary information from those involved in the process, including yourself. For a detailed explanation of our Rental Criteria, please continue reading.
Conviction of any crime that is of a nature that would adversely affect property of the landlord or a tenant or the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises of residents, the landlord or the landlord’s agent will be taken into consideration. Owner/Agent will not consider a previous arrest that did not result in a Conviction or expunged records. A single conviction for any of the following will be grounds for denial of the Rental Application:
- Felonies involving: murder, manslaughter, arson, rape, kidnapping, child sex crimes, or manufacturing or distribution of a controlled substance.
- Felonies not listed above involving: drug-related crime, person crime, sex offense, crime involving financial fraud, including identity theft and forgery, or any other crime if the conduct for which applicant was convicted or is charged is of a nature that would adversely affect property of the landlord or a tenant or the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises of the residents, the landlord or the landlord’s agent, where the date of disposition has occurred in the last 7 years.
- Misdemeanors involving: drug-related crimes, person crimes, sex offenses, domestic violence, violation of a restraining order, stalking, weapons, criminal impersonation, possession of burglary tools, financial fraud crimes, where the date of disposition has occurred in the last 5 years.
- Misdemeanors not listed above involving: theft, criminal trespass, criminal mischief, property crimes or any other crime if the conduct for which applicant was convicted or is charged is of a nature that would adversely affect property of the landlord or a tenant or the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises of the residents, the landlord or the landlord’s agent, where the date of disposition has occurred in the last 3 years.
- If any applicant has a conviction in their past which would disqualify them under these criminal conviction criteria and desires to submit additional information to Owner/Agent along with the application, so Owner/Agent can engage in an individualized assessment upon receipt of the results of the public records search and prior to a denial, applicant should do so. Otherwise, applicant may request a review process after denial.
Owner/Agent will engage in an individualized assessment of the applicant’s convictions if applicant has satisfied all other criteria and applicant has submitted supporting documentation prior to the public records search; or applicant is denied based on failure to satisfy these criminal criteria and has submitted a written request along with supporting documentation.
Supporting documentation may include:
- Letter from parole or probation office
- Letter from caseworker, therapist, counselor, etc.
- Certifications of treatments/rehab programs
- Letter from employer, teacher, etc.
- Certification of trainings completed
- Proof of employment
- Statement of the applicant
- Consider relevant individualized evidence of mitigating factors, which may include: the facts or circumstances surrounding the criminal conduct; the age of the convicted person at the time of the conduct; time since the criminal conduct; time since release from incarceration or completion of parole; evidence that the individual has maintained a good tenant history before and/or after the conviction or conduct; and evidence of rehabilitation efforts. Owner/Agent may request additional information and may consider whether there have been multiple Convictions as part of this process.
- Notify applicant of the results of Owner/Agent’s review within a reasonable time after receipt of all required information.
- A current, non-discharged bankruptcy action, falsified information, eviction less than 5 years (and not included in bankruptcy), housing related debt or rental reference that would not re-rent for documented reasons.
- Conviction of any crime that requires lifetime registration as a sex offender.
If one roommate qualifies, and one does not (too many points), the primary roommate (who completely qualifies) may lease the property with the non-qualifying roommate listed as a conditional roommate, and subject to a security deposit equal to one month’s rent, in addition to normal security deposits, with the stipulation that if the qualified roommate moved, the conditional roommate would have to re-qualify on their own, find another qualified roommate, or vacate the property. This does not allow for a roommate that has any of the Immediate Disqualifications or does not pass the criminal conviction criteria.
Please see our Pet Policy.
Upon move-in, and through the duration of tenancy, all residents must provide proof of renters insurance, which includes a minimum of $100,000 legal liability for damage to the landlord’s property, with Owner/Agent named as additional insured (Washington) or interested party (Oregon). Residents may purchase required insurance from an insurance agent of their choice. For more information, visit our page about Renters Insurance.
If your account is in good standing and you are thinking of transferring to another TMG property – ask about the TMG Transfer Policy. If you have questions, please ask – we are here to help you qualify!
The resident screening may consist of, but is not limited to the following: credit, criminal, eviction, public records, current and former landlord references, verification of income, other sources and screening reports obtained through an authorized reporting agency:
50 Castilian Dr.
Santa Barbara, CA 93117
Toll free: 866.648.1536 (Option 4 for Consumer Relations)
Pacific Screening Inc.
P.O. Box 25582
Portland, OR 97298
Toll free: 800.707.1941
You may request a free credit report within 60 days of adverse action/denial. You have the right to dispute any or all information. TMG will not accept a comprehensive reusable tenant screening report, obtained by applicant.
TMG complies with all Fair Housing laws, including those regarding reasonable accommodation.